Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A-Fraud socks his 600th Homer

Welcome to the club A-Fraud.  With one swing of the bat Alex Rodriguez will be forever grouped with legends like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Babe Ruth.  Since he admitted that he took steroids, he will also be grouped with cheaters like Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro.

When I was a young, naive baseball fan, I would actually be excited about this event.  I love baseball history, and seeing Rodriguez do something that only a handful of other baseball players have done, would have had me glued to my television.  Today, I just didn't really care.  Steroids raped the game of its innocence, and in a lot of ways it ruined aspects of the game for me.

Lets take a trip back to the year of 1998.  The Padres won the pennant, and I was captivated by the Home Run race between Mark Mcgwire and Sammy Sosa.  I'd watch every single game I could, and I watched Baseball Tonight to get my fix.  I felt privileged to see the greatest record in sports be smashed, and both players were very classy.  Now I look back at that year with contempt.

Not only were those two guys on the juice, but at least two players(Wally Joyner & Ken Caminiti) from that NL champion Padre team confessed to cheating.  I also have suspicion of Greg Vaughn who hit 50 bombs that year.  The game became an absolute joke.

Which brings me back to A-Fraud.  The guy stepped into the game, and won a batting title very early in his career.  He didn't need steroids to make him great.  What it turned him into was a slugging shortstop unlike the game has ever seen.  He owes much of it to cheating.  The money, the MVP's, the flat-chested blonde's he's so fond of.  None of it matters though, A-Fraud will never sniff the Hall of Fame.  The only thing that matters to A-Fraud is money.  Enjoy it, and thanks for pissing on the game I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment