Monday, October 25, 2010

The Walkman is all but dead

Sony is slowly, but surely fazing out obsolete technology.  Earlier this year, they stopped production of the floppy disk, and it looks like the Walkman is all but dead.  Today, Sony announced that production of the Walkman will cease in it's home of Japan, but units will still be produced in China, to be sold in the United States and the United Kingdom.

The Walkman was introduced in 1979, and it was really the first time music became portable.  People could stick in the Village People Cassette tapes, and strut their stuff all over down.  It also led to the demise of the 8-track, the bastard of musical formats.

Surprisingly, the Walkman only sold about 3,000 units worldwide when it first arrived in stores, yet sold around 200 million in its lifetime.  That number seems rather low, as I must have gone through 15 of these things during my youth.

As technology improved, the Walkman was fazed out by portable CD players, then later, MP players.  I used to love making mix tapes, and popping them in my Walkman.  Money was tight when I was a kid, so when my Mom didn't have the scratch to buy me that new Stone Temple Pilots tape, I went to the radio, popped in a blank tape, and recorded the music right off of the window.  It was a very primitive form of file sharing.  Those tapes kept me company on the walk to school, and sane in times of stress and uncertainty.

You all but gone Mr. Walkman, but not forgotten.  You paved the way for your grandson, little Ipod, who I would fuck if it had a vagina.  You were responsible for hearing-loss, and another way for me to tune out my parents.  I salute you, Mr. Walkman.  Enjoy retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment