Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Random Thoughts: Professor or con artist?

This semester I took a class called Global Communication.  It is a class that is part of a requirement for my major, and the best part of it was that it was online.  No waking up before the crack of dawn, I could view the online lectures at my convenience However, after my first week in class, I felt as though I was being taken for a ride.

I am on a budget, and always look for the best deals when it comes to textbooks. I am definitely not one of those students who walks in to the bookstore, and drops $140 on my new biology textbook.  The prices that these blood-sucking bastards charge for textbooks is outright robbery.  I troll around all the websites I can find, and I paid only $37 for that same biology text.

Naturally, when it was time to review what text I needed for this communication class, I was going to scour every site to find the best deal, unfortunately for me, this was not an option.

As it turns out, the text I required for this class was an "e-book" which meant I had to download it, and it also meant I didn't have a physical copy of said book.  The second part of this scam, is that the book was written  by the professor herself!  This crazy broad charged us $45, which isn't too bad, but trust me folks, it gets worse.  I had to drop another $45 for a book that contained the assignments I was to complete, and a bunch of links to websites.  So, I pay $90 for material that this bitch wrote?  Sounds like a scam to me!

The book in itself is complete garbage.  It is a bunch of garbage that was stolen from various other communication texts, and her second rate research.  Every time I read this garbage, I could hear a voice in my head telling me that I was getting ripped off.  I also thought:  Can a a teacher do this?  Charge a lot of money for a crappy textbook that she is profiting from?  Perhaps other teachers will start this, as an attempt to pad their salaries.

The class was remarkably easy, and I got an A, so I suppose all's well that ends well.  But I can't stop thinking about getting robbed at the hands of my professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment