Saturday, January 8, 2011

An Interview with former SDSU guard Tyrone Shelley

It has been a long, and interesting journey for Tyrone Shelley.  When he left Crawford High School, he was the San Diego section's all-time leading scorer, with 2,962 points.  He is ahead of players like Houston Rockets guard Chase Budinger, and former MLB first baseman Tony Clark.  He also holds the section record for points in a game with 76, a game in which he sat out of the fourth quarter. 

After his stellar career in High School, Tyrone attended Pepperdine Univeristy, where he led his team, averaging 15 points a game as a freshman.  He also earned a place on the CollegeHoops.net Mid-Major All-American first team for his efforts.

After that season, he transferred to San Diego State, and got the opportunity to showcase his talents in his hometown.  He went through an injury-plagued campaign last season, averaging 6 points a game, for SDSU, which advanced to the NCAA tournament. 

After last season, Shelley decided to transfer out of SDSU, and found a home at Georgetown College in Kentucky, an NAIA school.  By going down to a lower level of play, Shelley could play immediately, and wouldn't have to sit out the season, due to transfer rules. 

Most scouting websites say Shelley has an opportunity to make a living playing basketball, whether it be here in the states, or overseas.  Shelley is averaging 10 points and 6 boards for Georgetown College, and his team is off to 15-1 start this season.  Shelley was gracious enough to answer some questions for me, so here it is.

Q:  In moving from San Diego to Kentucky, what has been the biggest adjustment?

A:  "The biggest adjustment for me was getting use to the weather, and the distance from my family."

Q:  After playing for SDSU last year, what impacted you leaving the program?

A:  "I left because I wasn't getting the recognition for going out and playing every game hard, and injured, and I was so hurt I couldn't even walk."

Q:  When you decided to leave SDSU, did you receive any offers from any D1 schools

"I decided I wanted to leave after the tournament loss to Tennessee because I knew I was going to get healthy, and I wanted to play elsewhere. When I did(decide to transfer) I did receive D1 and D2 and NAIA schools."

Q:  In my research, Georgetown College has a storied history at the NAIA level, what role did that play in you deciding to transfer there?

A:  "Georgetown being good in the past, and getting the chance to visit, and meet the returning players and players from the past, I felt like I had a chance to get better and improve my basketball game. and grow as a person."

Q:  Have you had an opportunity to follow SDSU this year?

A:  "Yes I still follow SDSU, because I still have friends on the team and at the university,  and Malcolm is (Aztecs forward Malcolm Thomas) like my little brother, so I'm still a SDSU fan."

Q:  What interests do you have off of the basketball court?

A:  "Off the court I like to do normal things, such as hanging out with friends, and trying to sing, and watching movies."

Q:  Is there a big difference in the level of play between the NCAA and NAIA?

A:  "There's a huge different in height, and there are a lot of smaller players in NAIA, but they play big because they play so hard. The games are refereed differetly as well,  there are a lot more touch fouls,  and fouls in general called."

Q:  You are one of the tallest players on the Georgetown College roster, have you had to play a lot inside the paint?

A:  "No, I felt like I played the post more at the D1 level and now I'm on the wing a lot more. If there is a smaller player guarding me, I will go into the post, and exploit the mismatch."

Once again, a big thank you to Tyrone Shelley for giving me, and you readers a few moments of his time.  Follow Tyrone's new team at http://www.georgetowncollegeathletics.com.










 

4 comments:

  1. I would love some feedback on this. Positive or negative, send it to kevincsays@gmail.com! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Great interview! Glad to see him doing well after all he had to go thru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good read. wish him luck and hope he had stayed at SDSU.

    ReplyDelete