Friday, May 6, 2011

Random Thoughts: Recurring Dreams

Have you ever had a dream that always seems to come back in your mind every few months?  Like the old cliche where you fall off of a mountain, and you are screaming as you fall to your death, and right before you hit the ground, you wake up?  Well, I haven't had that one, but a certain character seems to pop up in my dreams every few weeks.

This character is Freddy Krueger, the villain from the "A Nightmare On Elm Street" films.  I was exposed to these films at an entirely inappropriate age, by an older cousin.  I watched the film, and was naturally frightened, but I fell asleep with a hitch that night.  Later on my jackass cousin decided to chase me around in full Freddy gear, and chased me around the house, where I took shelter in a closet.  Ever since then, I have had these dreams.  What makes the matter even more creepy, is the fact that the character kills people in their dreams.

Some of the dreams are legitimately frightening.  There is one where I am taking a shower, and the shower head turns into his arm, and he starts ripping out my intestines.  There are others like these, although some of them are actually absurdly funny.

I had one dream where Urkel, Gary Coleman, Freddy, and myself drive around in a van solving mysteries.  It basically Scooby-Doo, but no animals speak.  The most bizarre part of the dream is that Freddy speaks with a Scottish accent, wears a kilt, and smokes a pipe.  We went back in time and saved Abraham Lincoln from being shot; and then the alarm went off.

I love horror movies, but for some reason, Krueger has always managed to scare the shit out of me, and forced me to revert to that helpless child, hiding in the closet. (insert gay joke here.)  No matter what I do, the dreams always surface, even as an adult.  Would therapy be the cure for what haunts me?  Perhaps medication?  Either way, the dreams can be quite debilitating.

No comments:

Post a Comment