Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One Year Anniversary of Kevin Says

Tomorrow, July 27 will be the one year anniversary of this blog. Growing up as a child, I had dreams of being a sports media mogul. I aspired to have my own radio show, and be a frequent contributor to Sports Illustrated. If that didn't work out, I figured I could become a beat writer for the Chargers. At the ripe old age of 26, those dreams are all but dead. Life has chewed me up, and spit me out. This blog however, has allowed me to hold on to those childish hopes.

In retrospect, I am not really sure why I started this blog. Perhaps I had a creative itch that needed to be scratched. I also heard that one can make some money doing this. Well, Google suspended my Adsense account for some reason, so that hasn't happened. So why do I continue to write on this blog? Quite simply, its a blast.

Ever since I was a child, teachers told me that I had a flair for writing. I even had some short stories published when I was in grade school. Naturally, one would assume that I would want to become an author. Well, writing always felt like a chore, since I had to write reports on things I didn't care about.  Book reports, history papers, and analyzing my communication behaviors. These tasks are the colon exams of writing.

All I ever really cared about as a kid were sports, and music. When I hit high school, it became girls, sports, and music. Teachers never let me write about any of those things, so I stopped writing for fun. It was simply a task used to satisfy academic requirements.

Then I saw that everyone online had a blog. People with half of my abilities are doing this for a living. People who create websites, "hire" people to write on the site(without getting paid) and reap the financial benefits. Hell, if shitty writers who rattle off sports statistics for the sake of sounding intelligent are blogging, why can't I?

My favorite thing about blogging, is that I can do whatever I want. If I want to write a balanced, professional sports story, I can. If I feel like talking about which celebrity I wanna see naked, I write it. No rules, no regrets. My work is all about being interesting and funny. If I am not entertaining, there is no point for me to keep doing this. I take a lot of pride in the feedback my small little readership has given me. Honestly, it keeps be sane some days.

The last year of blogging has flown by. Over 250 posts, all of them straight from my brain. Sure, I am not an Internet sensation, but I love doing this as a hobby, job, or whatever you want to call it. I do not get to write as much as I would like because I work and attend college full-time, but my readership grows every month. One year has netted almost 11,000 hits. I am not sure if that is good, but its more that I ever anticipated.

One year in as a blogger, and rest assured people, no one can shut me up. Kevin is not going anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment