Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Alas, 2011 has ended, and 2012 is upon us. Some us think that the world is going to end this year, so I suppose we had better live it up! Anyway, a new year means that people make New Year's resolutions. Personally, I have never put much stock in it, partly because I am stubborn and lazy. I suppose people think that a new year presents the opportunity to make changes. Perhaps lose weight, quit smoking, or watch less TV. I can't remember the last time I actually made a resolution. To me, all of the days bleed together. January 2, 2012 pretty much feels the same as December 13, or any other day on the calendar. My life progresses, and a simple flip of the calendar does nothing to motivate or energize me. My goals are still the same: finish up my BA in communication, work and make a decent living, and hope that some person offers me money to write for a living.

For those of you who do make resolutions, what are they? An article in the PJ Star says the five most popular resolutions are: to lose weight, travel, save money, quit smoking/drinking, and keep in touch with friends/family. Essentially, Americans are a bunch of fat smokers, who burn through money, and want to travel.

Sure, I would like to lose weight, but a new year doesn't motivate me. I have no desire to ever leave America, although traveling to cities in the United States has always seemed cool. I don't smoke or drink, so I am good there. Saving money is difficult, but I always make an effort, and if I am not connected to you, then you probably aren't worth my time.

None of the "common" resolutions appeal to me. I guess I just hope to keep the momentum I've been building in my personal life going in 2012. Keep the good job I have, save a little more money, and get my degree. I am close to finally becoming a "real" adult, albeit at age 26. The year has changed, but my goals stay the same. No resolutions are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment