Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Random Thoughts: Battle Of the Bulge

A few days ago, I decided to go on a diet, in an attempt to lose some weight. It has been something I have been thinking about for many months, but I usually drown out that voice with spaghetti and fast-food. I do not consider myself to be "fat," but I could definitely stand to lose a few pounds.

Currently, I weigh in at about 230 lbs, although I have no gut. I stand about 5'10. The numbers do not lie: I am overweight. I am pretty lazy when it comes to exercise, and I also work and go to school, so those activities are not helping me stay in shape.

Perhaps the end of my relationship triggered something in my mind. I am not sure. But like I said, I am trying to embrace change. I feel like working out and dieting will not only make me feel better, but look better too. Hey, if I am trying to attract members of the opposite sex, it will not hurt to look my best, right?

The hardest part about dieting is, well, the eating. I love eating crap. In a perfect world, every meal would consist of chicken wings, some type of pasta dish, and a nice, large soda. Honestly, I am surprised I am not bigger, with all of the shit I intake.

Vegetables and fruit just never did anything for me. The thought of eating a salad makes me ill, and aside from bananas(yes, I enjoy the gayest looking fruit), fruit is not my thing either. For me, the hardest part is finding something to eat, that is actually healthy. Grilled fish and chicken are supposed to be good, but I would prefer them with a side of loaded baked potatoes. It seems like a losing battle.

One thing I do have on my side, is that I already drink a lot of water. Diet soda is for morons, and juice is loaded with sugar, so it seems like water will be my drink of choice. Water is awesome on a hot day, but is ultimately unsatisfying while eating a meal. I love washing down a delicious meal with an ice-cold Coca-Cola. Old habits die hard.

Ultimately, I hope to get down to about 190-200, while still continuing a regular habit of exercise. I have gone on 3-4 mile walks, and I hope to work in some weight-lifting, and biking into the mix. I am 27, it is time to be a little more active.

I will be sure to keep you abreast of the situation, as I sweat off my man-breasts. I am sure it is going to be a  tireless battle.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear that you've taken the first step towards a more healthy lifestyle!

    If you're looking to start permanently keeping the weight off, you may want to look not only at what you eat, but why you eat the "crap" you listed. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to know what you need to do to lose weight, but never seeming to be able to actually do it. It's easy to get caught in bad patterns around food, especially with emotional/stress eating or eating out of boredom. These patterns only arise because we all have underlying needs that need to be addressed--it's just sometimes we mistakenly handle them with food. Take a look at the video in my link. It does a great job explaining our needs and how we can stop destructive patterns.

    ReplyDelete