Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Visit

Fuck, I hate mornings. I really despise morning people. You know, those sadists who wake up 6 a.m. because if you don't then "half the day is gone." The day is overrated, give me 21 hrs of night. Perhaps I should move to the Arctic Circle.

Anyway, I had to get up early on a day off, which is equal to hammering spikes through my feet. I made an appointment a few weeks ago to get treatment for a variety of issues relating to depression/anxiety. Finally at the age of 27, I decided to see what I can to to combat issues I have had since childhood.

I hopped in the car and took the lengthy 1.4 mile trek to my doctor's office. While showering, I thought about crawling into bed and sleeping the day away. Perhaps a few months ago I would have. Not today.

As I got dressed, I tried to give myself a pep talk, because I am sure R. Lee Emery was yelling at someone else. Since there was no one else around, I had to play a trick on my brain to get motivated. Whatever I said must of worked, because 7 minutes later I was there.

I checked in at the counter, payed my co-pay, and thought about leaving 8 times in the first 30 seconds. I sat down and took a long look around. I saw a ton of old people. I was easily the youngest person in the office. Everyone was minding there own business.

While playing around on my phone, I overheard a married couple's discussion. The wife had a theory that her husband was having heart problems because of "all that violent crap you watch at night." I suppose Walker, Texas Ranger reruns are to blame for this guys faulty ticker. The women wanted to ask her doctor "why her jaw always got sore when she ate nuts from a jar." Their conversation made me laugh, and loosing me up a bit.

I told the doctor my symptoms and she prescribed a medication called Celexa. It does have some frightening side effects, especially the "heavy menstrual periods." On the plus side, it is also used as a treatment for premature ejaculation. So I can feel better AND last longer in the sack? Sign me up, captain!

The next step is to talk to a therapist. That part of the treatment has been long overdue. I am sure the doctor will have a field day with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment