Sunday, May 19, 2013

Is This Progress?

As I have documented here, I am still battling Social Anxiety Disorder, as well as mild depression. I got off of the wagon with treatments and medication, but I feel like I am focused and I plan on kicking my issues square in the balls.

One of the things that my therapist recommended, was to attend a class that essentially taught students methods on combating their issues. So far, I am not sure if the class is really going to benefit me, but will continue through it with an open mind.

For one thing, I am the youngest person in the class by at least 15 years. 75% of the people are probably in their 60's. These people are dealing with some pretty severe issues -- one that makes my phobia of socializing seem pretty trivial. One poor older lady is having suicidal thoughts over the loss of her husband. Another has not been able to find work for months. One lady is dealing with a marriage that crumbled over her husband's love of violence towards her and her children. My problems really do not matter, at least compared to them.

In the class, the therapist asked me one of the problems that I was looking to fix. I told him that about my lack of self-confidence and how I am perceived of others. Like many others who suffer from my issue, I actually have a high regard for myself. I think I am awesome, however, for some strange reason I feel as if others will only point fingers at me.

One of the things that I am trying to do, is to find and meet people dealing with the same type of anxiety and phobia's that I am. My doctor suggested that I try Meetup, which is a site that forms groups base upon common interests. There are a few for social anxiety, so it might be beneficial to swap stories and potentially forge new friendships. Over the last year, I learned that one cannot bitch about their predicament if they do nothing to change it. I am determined to become a happier, more well-rounded person. I am also determined to show the world what a unique and great person I am. So here I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment